6 tips to help you fall and stay asleep.
Like many of us, your bedroom is probably a cozy, relaxing sanctuary.
After a long, busy day of checking everything off your to-do list (meeting work deadlines, gym, making dinner, and spending time with your significant other), all you want to do is flop on your bed and crash!
But then it happens, eyes wide open, tossing and turning, and NOTHING. Argh, the fatigue turns into frustration.
It is now time to officially welcome you to the club you never wanted to join...The Sleepless Nights Club. But don't worry, you're not alone! Many people in the world struggle with falling asleep, staying asleep, and restless nights.
If you’ve ever laid awake for hours on end, you know what we’re talking about. Maybe you’ve tried counting sheep or taking sleeping pills. But NOTHING works.
With that said, a recent study found that between 50-70 million adults in the United States have a sleep disorder.
Whether you are part of this number or just have the occasional night of restlessness, alternative sleep supplements may help put your mind at ease and help you sleep throughout the night.
As you grow older, your body needs less sleep.
But that doesn’t mean you should struggle to fall or stay asleep!
On average, healthy adults should aim for seven to nine hours of sleep a night. Getting a full night’s rest is extremely important for brain function. Over time, lack of sleep may have detrimental effects on the body. Simply put, your body needs sleep!
As you sleep, your brain remains active to reset your body, so you can wake up feeling rested and ready to face a new day.
While you are dreaming, your body and brain are hard at work.
A good night's sleep allows our body to:
- Conserves and restores energy
- Stimulates muscle repair, tissue growth, and hormone release
- Reorganizes your nerve cells, which affects your memory, learning, concentration, and other cognitive skills
- Regulates your emotions
- Strengthens your immune system
It’s time to dust off the bedtime routine your parents gave you!
One of the easiest and most effective ways to balance your sleep is by creating a routine that you follow every night. So here it is, the 6 tips you’ve been waiting for:
- Create a bedtime. On average, healthy adults should aim for seven to nine hours of sleep a night. Getting a full night’s rest is extremely important for brain function. Over time, lack of sleep may have detrimental effects on the body.
- Reduce the noise. A half-hour before that time, start winding down. Turn off the TV, put your phone away, and any other electronics. To help quiet your mind, write down what you want to accomplish tomorrow
- Calm yourself. Drink some chamomile tea, rub some lavender essential oil on your feet and wrists for relaxation, and read a book.
- Increase physical activity or exercise. Gamaldo from Hopkins medicine reports: People who engage in at least 30 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise may see a difference in sleep quality that same night. “It’s generally not going to take months or years to see a benefit” he says.
- Avoid caffeine. For a better’s night sleep avoid drinking caffeinated drinks and food at least 4-5 before bed time.
- Try a holistic sleep aid. Natural sleep aids help to balance sleep patterns. If you want to fall asleep at a reasonable hour, stay asleep throughout the night, sleep soundlessly, or wake up without feeling extremely groggy, you would most likely benefit from taking an alternative sleep supplement.
5 essential ingredients in holistic sleep supplements.
It's all about the ingredients and dosage! The following nutrients are proven to enhance brain functioning and encourage our natural sleep cycles, thus ensuring a good night's rest.
- Magnesium is a natural mineral our body processes and plays a critical role in supporting brain function. In addition, magnesium helps us fall asleep faster by balancing your internal clock and your sleep-wake cycles.
- Magnesium-based sleep supplements are excellent for individuals with sleep complications. If your body has low levels of magnesium or has a magnesium deficiency, you may even experience insomnia.
- GABA, which stands for gamma-aminobutyric acid, is an amino acid that our brains naturally produce. Low GABA levels have been linked to insomnia. By increasing those levels with an alternative sleep supplement, you can relax and fall asleep easily and stay asleep with fewer disruptions in the night.
- L-Theanine is another amino acid in the body. It promotes relaxation and reduces anxiety and helps you fall asleep more quickly and stay asleep. When your mind can calm down, your body will naturally follow. L-Theanine also helps boost GABA levels in the body.
- Melatonin is a non-habit forming supplement that your body already produces. Melatonin levels in your body naturally rise and fall every morning and evening, but at times its cycle may be interrupted. Taking a holistic sleep supplement with melatonin helps your body fall asleep and wake up at regulated times.
There are many options available when it comes to natural sleep supplements., However, finding one doctor created, with natural ingredients and the right dosing isn’t that easy to find.
Better Sleep, by Synergic Supplements, blends critical nutrients that let your body know it’s time to sleep, stay asleep, and promote brain and body relaxation.
Final take away
You’re not alone having trouble falling asleep, but being able to wake up rested and ready to take on the day shouldn’t be impossible. With the right knowledge and plan, you can start to improve your sleep habits and experience more nights of relaxation and better sleep.